When you’re in the market for a new Cat® excavator, you want to know you’re getting a machine that will cover all your requirements without being more than you need. If you’re not familiar with all the specifications and why they matter, it can be tough to strike that balance.
At H.O. Penn, we have 100 years of outstanding customer service and no intention of slowing down. Our team has the expertise to help you find the right tool for the job, whether looking at one of our Cat mini excavators for your enclosed workspace or our colossal 395 model. Check out this guide to find the right excavator for your situation.
Factors to Consider
Cost is always one of the first things you’ll consider when investing in a new or used Cat machine. While finding a solution that fits your budget is crucial, there are numerous other factors to consider during your search. Some of these elements include:
- Digging depth: Whether digging trenches or excavating for mining applications, you’ll need equipment that offers more digging depth than your typical project requires to ensure you can accomplish your tasks.
- Reach: A short boom is beneficial for productivity. However, operators often need a minimum boom length to complete specific jobs, so you’ll want to confirm that your machine fits the bill.
- Capacity: Excavators often double as material handling equipment, making it crucial to evaluate how much weight you usually need to move on a site. This information will equip you to choose an excavator with enough power and capacity to handle your loads.
- Hydraulics: Hydraulic controls improve your overall machine control, provide a more enjoyable experience for your operators and determine what kind of attachments you can use.
- Features: Newer excavators are built with innovative features to streamline project performance and enhance on-site safety. Grade control, grade assist, E-fencing and integrated scales are just a few of the valuable tools available on today’s machines. Ask your provider about these resources to see how they can provide your business with benefits like more operator control, reduced rework occurrence, improved work site safety and lower project expenses.
Common Cat Excavator Sizes
Every job site is unique and requires specific tools to remain productive and protected. Finding the correctly sized excavator for your environment will allow you to maximize your transportation abilities, efficiently maneuver work sites and provide the power to complete your projects on schedule. You can choose from a range of Cat excavator sizes to fit your requirements:
- Mini excavators: These nimble machines are also known as compact excavators. They range from 2,000 pounds to over 22,000, with up to 70 horsepower and digging depths up to 15 feet.
- Standard excavators: Standard excavators are versatile workhorses weighing anywhere from 20,000 to 90,000 pounds and providing powerful performance for applications including landscaping and construction.
- Large excavators: With operating weights of up to 207,300 pounds, the biggest excavators boast up to 542 horsepower. These machines require plenty of space to maneuver successfully and are best for larger operations.
Consider Its Usable Attachments
If you’re looking to do more than just digging with your large, standard or mini Cat excavator, you’ll have to consider what attachments you can use with it. Attachments allow you to alter the function of your machine, expanding its capabilities to seamlessly fit the demands of one-off projects or additional service options. Commonly used attachments compatible with excavators include:
Choose H.O. Penn for All Your Cat Excavator Needs
Whether you want a mini Cat excavator with a standard bucket attachment or a larger model to handle specialized work, H.O. Penn is ready to help you find the right tool for the job. We offer a wide selection of new and used excavators available to purchase and rent, and our professionals have the expertise to lead you down the right path. Contact us online to learn more today.